Nakina Systems Inc. (Nakina), an equal opportunity organization, is committed to the principles for providing services to customers with disabilities. We embrace the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equal opportunity for all.
Nakina is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
Our plan for providing goods and services to people with disabilities:
- Assistive devices – We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices we have on site or that we provide that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
- Communication – We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
- Service animals – We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
- Support persons – A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. Fees will not be charged for support persons
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, Nakina will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. Services/Facilities include : Parking, Special Entrance, Automatic Door Opener, Washrooms, Ramps.
Nakina will provide accessible customer service training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf. Training will also be provided to people involved in the development of policies, plans, practices and procedures related to the provision of our goods and services. Individuals in the following positions will be trained: Reception, Sales, Customer Support, HR, and Facilities Management Personnel.
Staff will be trained on Accessible Customer Service within 30 Days after being hired. Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Nakina’s plan related to the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use the equipment or devices available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilities.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Nakina’s goods and services
- Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our accessible customer service plan.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Nakina provides goods and services to people with disabilities can provide feedback in the following way(s): By sending email to Nakina Accessibility
All feedback, including complaints, will be handled in the following manner: HR will review and address within the policy requirements. Solutions requiring a change in policy will be referred to the Executive for action. Customers can expect to hear back in 15 days.
Notice of availability
Nakina will notify the public that our documents related to accessible customer service, are available upon request made by email to Nakina Accessibility
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy, practice or procedure of Nakina that does not respect and promote the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity for people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Multi-Year Accessibility Plan and Policies for 2014 – 2021
This 2014-2021 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Nakina Systems Inc. (Nakina) will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
Nakina is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information
Nakina is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Nakina will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members. Nakina will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by January 1, 2015.
- Conduct an information session to inform the relevant employees.
- Identify and share sources where information can be accessed.
N/A — Nakina has no self-service kiosks
Information and Communications
Nakina is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs. Nakina has already taken the necessary steps to ensure that all new websites and all new websites and content on those sites conform with WCAG 2.0, Level A by January 1, 2014. Nakina has already taken steps to ensure that existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2015. (This process is already in place):
- Feedback is available via our website.
Nakina has already taken steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request by January 1, 2016:
- That information is already available on the Nakina web site.
- The public can also contact Nakina Accessibility
Nakina will take the following steps to make all websites and content conform with WCAG 2.0, Level AA by January 1, 2021:
- Prepare requirements for updating the Nakina Site.
- Prepare a web upgrade plan with an implementation time table.
Nakina is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We will take the steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, Nakina will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. Nakina will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability:
- Establish a Accessibility Committee (AODC)
- The AODC will develop plans and policies for Approval by Exec/BOD.
Nakina will take steps to ensure that the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account and will use performance management, career development and redeployment processes whenever feasible. Nakina will take the following steps to prevent and remove other accessibility barriers identified:
- The AODC will Review policies annually to identify any barriers
- Inform Executive of barriers as an action item.
Design of Public Spaces
Nakina will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces, as may be applicable to Nakina. Where and if applicable, Nakina will put the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public spaces:
- In the event of a service disruption, we will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available.
For More Information
For more information on this accessibility plan, please contact at: R. Peterkin Phone: (613) 254-7351 Email or accessible versions of this document are available free on request: Nakina Accessibility